Ubuntu has been a popular choice for many users for years. However, with the rise of cyberattacks, security has become a primary concern for many users, especially those running critical applications and services.
To meet the growing demand for secure and reliable Ubuntu deployments, Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, has introduced Ubuntu Pro, a subscription-based version of Ubuntu that includes additional security features and support. In this blog post, we’ll discuss Ubuntu Pro and its benefits.
Table of Contents
What is Ubuntu Pro?
Ubuntu Pro is a premium version of Ubuntu designed for enterprises and large organizations that require enhanced security features and support. It offers several advantages over the standard Ubuntu distribution, including additional security updates, kernel livepatching, and access to Canonical’s ESM infrastructure. Ubuntu Pro also comes with dedicated technical support and consulting services to help organizations optimize their Ubuntu deployments.
Free for personal use!
Ubuntu Pro is free for personal use. It offers the full suite of Ubuntu Pro capabilities for you on up to 5 machines.
Large-scale, commercial users fund the extraordinary range of security updates in Ubuntu Pro. Their subscriptions to Ubuntu Pro enable Canonical to offer this service free of charge to users who might have their own personal or small business needs. There are also discount programs for specific use cases, such as research, education, and academia.
Benefits of Ubuntu Pro
- Extended Security Maintenance (ESM): Ubuntu Pro provides extended security updates for high and critical Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVEs) for the Ubuntu base OS and critical infrastructure components. This coverage typically lasts for 10 years, much longer than the standard support period.
- Patch Coverage: It includes security patches for additional repositories, including Universe, Multiverse, and Restricted, which are not usually covered under standard support.
- Livepatch Service: With the Livepatch service, you can apply critical kernel security patches without rebooting the system, which is crucial for maintaining uptime for critical services and infrastructure.
- Certified Components: Ubuntu Pro offers a broader set of certified components, including hardware and software, which can be crucial for compliance with certain industry standards.
- FIPS and Common Criteria EAL Compliant: Ubuntu Pro includes cryptographic packages that are compliant with the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) and have Common Criteria EAL certification, meeting strict security criteria for governmental and regulatory bodies.
- Expanded Landscape Access: It may include expanded access to the Landscape systems management tool for easier and more scalable management of large deployments of Ubuntu systems.
- Compliance Reporting: Pro subscribers may have access to compliance and audit tools that help to streamline certification processes for SOC2, PCI, HIPAA, and ISO.
- Support: Ubuntu Pro typically includes access to professional support from Canonical, which can be an advantage for businesses that require guaranteed response times and direct access to experts.
- Cloud Benefits: For cloud users, Ubuntu Pro images are optimized for performance and security on various cloud platforms (Azure, Google, AWS, etc), providing a smooth and secure experience for cloud deployments.
- Additional Software: Users also get access to a curated set of open-source tools, additional software, and utilities that are professionally packaged and tested.
These benefits make Ubuntu Pro particularly suited to businesses and professional environments where extended security and support are critical.
Ubuntu Pro as a CentOS alternative?
CentOS is a popular choice for enterprise users because of its stability and long-term support. However, with the recent changes to CentOS, many users are looking for alternatives. Ubuntu Pro provides an excellent alternative to CentOS, with its focus on security and reliability.
Ubuntu’s ESM ensures that critical packages remain up-to-date, even after their EOL date, and its enhanced security features provide added protection against cyber threats. Ubuntu Pro also has a vibrant community and ecosystem, with many third-party tools and applications that are compatible with Ubuntu.
Ubuntu Pro stands out as a robust and reliable platform for enterprises needing advanced security and extended support. Its comprehensive ESM infrastructure offers peace of mind by keeping critical systems secure beyond their standard End of Life (EOL) dates. This, coupled with specialized technical support and consulting services, enables organizations to fine-tune their systems for optimal performance.
As an alternative to CentOS and similar enterprise-oriented Linux distributions, Ubuntu Pro has carved out a significant niche for itself. It is increasingly favored by organizations such as those utilizing cPanel, thanks to its emphasis on maintaining a secure and stable operating environment. For businesses that prioritize long-term support and stringent security compliance, Ubuntu Pro is an exceptionally sound investment.
Moreover, it’s important to note that Ubuntu Pro is free for personal use, which significantly broadens its appeal. This makes it not only a viable choice for companies but also for individual users and small businesses who wish to leverage its advanced features without incurring additional costs.